Thursday, December 3, 2009

Virtual Christmas Cookies--and real (edible) ones, too.

My friend, crit partner and Samhain author, Jennifer Shirk, is having a Christmas cookie exchange over at her blog today. Post your favorite cookie recipe on your blog, go over to her blog and leave a comment, and get entered to win a one-pound gift package from Crazy Susan's cookies.

Free cookies! Yeh!

I found my recipe in the 2007 edition of A Taste of Home Best Loved Cookies and Bars. I love this recipe because I LOVE COCONUT! (That's a hint to those of you who say, "yuck" about coconut; you can stop reading now.) I make cookies every year (or used to before everyone went Weight Watchers and Low-Carb), but could never find the perfect maccaroon recipe. So many of them require egg whites and cream of tartar and long baking times to "dry the cookie to the perfect texture".

Phooey, I say! Phooey!

These Coconut Macaroons are easy, quick and chewy. With only five ingredients, you can make them in a pinch, and if you use a tablespoon-sized ice cream scoop to drop them onto your baking sheet, they're the perfect pop-in-your-mouth cookie. The only thing wrong with this recipe: it doesn't yield enough! You'll want to double/triple/quadruple it for your non-virtual cookie exchange. Or--as occurs in my house--so that there are enough left to give away.

(The recipe doesn't call for a halved-maraschino cherry, but that doesn't mean you can't include one if you'd like.)

Coconut Macaroons
(pg 32, Best Loved Cookies and Bars, Taste of Home. 2007)

2 1/2 c. flaked coconut
1/3 c. all purpose flour
1/8 t. salt
2/3 c. sweetened condensed milk
1 t. vanilla extract

In a bowl, combine the coconut, flour and salt. Add milk and vanilla; mix well (batter will be stiff).

Drop by tablespoons 1 inch apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 1/2 dozen.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Coconut macaroons are heavenly. :D

    May have to have a go at that recipe after I've next been shopping. I assume the 350 degrees is Fahrenheit?

    Adam

    ReplyDelete

Please email me at cdyates@ymail.com if you can't comment! I'm having trouble with my settings and am trying to fix them.